We all love summer and the warm weather it brings, but on the other hand, it is the time of the year where more people take time off work or school due to catching some form of virus or cold. Anyone is susceptible to catching flu viruses and cold, which spread the fastest due to the conducive warm weather and the sudden change in temperatures.
Meanwhile, cold and flu viruses are highly contagious and are a cause of numerous absences at work and in schools across the UK.
What is the ROLE OF CLEANING in and steps to consider in preventing the spread of germs, cold flu or allergies:
- Washing the hands: it is important to use soap and warm water to wash hand thoroughly especially after visiting the toilet or after emptying the waste bin. By doing this, contamination of food or spread of germs to work surfaces at limited. The hand should be sanitised as often as possible where reasonable.
- Cover mouth: It is important to cover the mouth if sneezing or coughing. it is advisable to cough/sneeze into the hook of the arm, in order to leave the hands free from contacting any germs or virus.
- Clean desk: Aside from the clean desk policy that will help the cleaners to reach and clean all sides of the desk, it is very crucial for the desk user to do their bit to keep the desk cleaned intermittently with alcohol based cleaner or antiseptic wipes. The phones, keyboard, mouse, drawer handles (basically every area that the hand touches frequently).
- Eating with clean hands: Many time, it is easy to forget to wash the hands before eating, but it is advisable to use spoon or fork where possible. When eating sandwiches or wraps, use paper towel or foil to hold and by doing this, we can prevent food contamination from hand contact.
- Using the toilet: Everyone or at least most people are aware of the importance of washing the hands after visiting the toilet. It is a must to wash the hands and dry them after visiting the toilet.
- In-house cleaners: staff employed by the company to clean full time or part time should be provided with the right cleaning product all areas. They should ensure that the products are properly labelled and colour coded to prevent cross contamination. Cross contamination can be regarded as a quiet cause of illness at work as they often happen outside the awareness of the staff.
It is both the duty of the company to inform all staff about the importance of cleaning and it is also very important that all staff can agree to any measures put in place by the company. By following simple guidelines such as above and keep the workplace germ, cold and allergy free.
At schools, nurseries and any educational establishment
- Children need adult help: Children are less aware of flu, cold and allergies symptom so it can be difficult for them to prevent themselves from spreading it. Adults in charge of any child will need to know what to watch out for and how to handle it.
- Cleaning in nurseries: nursery staff should be aware of dirt prone areas around the nursery, for nurseries, this will be lower down due to their height.
- Washing hands: all children, students and staff should be encouraged to wash hands every time they use the toilet.
- Teach the importance of good hygiene: Teach children to cover mouth and nose with a tissue after coughing or after wiping their nose. Teach them to know that it is important to appropriately dispose any tissue into the bin.
In any educational institution, just like any other workplace, it is important for all parties to share the responsibility of preventing the spread of germs.
Preventing germs anywhere: Vacuum cleaner filter for your cleaners
Vacuum cleaner work by drawing air into the system with an electric motor, the air contain various particles but also dirt that is lying on the floor near the suction head. The dirt chunks and large air particles are trapped inside the vacuum bag while the air is released back into the room.
Why use a bag in a bagged vacuum cleaner?
Many times when the vacuum bag runs out, it is very easy to question the use of bags in the vacuum cleaner that is designed to use one. Bagless or not, all vacuum cleaners need to contain dirt and particles filter out of the air into a container. However, most compact vacuum cleaners that operate with a wand use the bag separation process. Choosing not to replace the vacuum bag will mean that the electric motor is having to block out dirt particle, it is a task it was not designed to do.
By using a bag in your vacuum cleaner, you can guarantee the best filtration possible and ensure that dust and germ particles are not being sent through the room for all to breathe on.
Understanding HEPA filters, what you need to know
This is why it is important to choose the right type of vacuum cleaner, with the best filtration system for your the environment. We will suggest that you purchase HEPA (High efficiency particle air). There are various grades of HEPA filter but the best quality should be able to contain 99.97% or 0.3 micron particle. This kind will basically trap most of the air particles in the homes, workplaces or academic institutions.